Talks & Articles
Media rarely applies a gender lens to cultural or social issues and many such issues impact women and men differently. Here is a selection of talks, facts and opinions which focus on women and girls.
Gender and Women’s Issues
- Does Gender Still Matter?2009 by Eve Mahlab AO
- A Women’s Anthem 2008 commissioned by the Victorian Women’s Trust and composed by Kavisha Mazzella
- Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workforce Agency 2007/08 Annual Report – media release
- "Making equality a reality", by Farah Farouque, The Age, 24 November 2007 – interview with Elizabeth Broderick, Sex Discrimination Commissioner.
- The Girl Effect – Why Should We Pay Attention to Girls?
- Gender Equality and the UN Millennium Goals
- "Letting everyone in on a little secret ... The girl effect is also about .. boys and men", by Maria Eitel, The Huffington Post, 31 March 2009
- "Losing my religion for equality", by former US President Jimmy Carter, 14 July 2009. He says "Women and girls have been discriminated against for too long in a twisted interpretation of the word of God."
- In Her Gift: Women Philanthropists in Australian History, 2008, by Dr Barbara Lemon,PHD.
- An Idea whose time has come, 2008, by Kristi Mansfield
- Good Times and Philanthropy – Giving by Australia's Affluent, March 2008, by the Australian Centre for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies, Queensland University of Technology
- Accelerating Change for Women and Girls: The Role of Women's Funds, US Foundation Center Report and the Women's Funding Network report, 2009
- "Learning to Give", The Greenstone Group 2008
- "Local women propel funding campaign to historic highs" on the Business of Giving blog, by Kristi Heim, The Seattle Times, 13 May 2009
- Assessing the resources and the role of donors in the promotion of women's rights and the support of women's rights organizations. AWID, 2006 First Fundher Report
- Generational Differences in Charitable Giving and in Motivations for Giving, report prepared for Cambell Company, May 2008, (pdf of Executive Summary provided).
- "Shaping the Future of the Women's Philanthropy Research Agenda", 2008 by Dr Debra Mesch and Lauren Berentes, Women's Philanthropy Institute at the Centre on Philanthropy
- "Women and Philanthropy: Sharing the Wealth", 2008, an issue discussed on To The Contrary TV program on the US Public Broadcasting Service (PBS).
Maternal Health and Sexual Health
- Maternal deaths in Australia 2003-2005
- Maternal Mortality – information from the World Health Organization (WHO), 2005
- Family Planning. Myths versus Facts. 2009
- Maternal Mortality and Abortion: A Fact Sheet, 2004 by the Australian Reproductive Health Alliance
Homelessness, Poverty and Ageing
- Counting the Homeless 2006 by the Australian Bureau of Statistics
- Submission by Victorian Womens trust to Green Paper Government Committee of Enquiry
- Investing in Women – Solving the Poverty Puzzle: Facts & Figures, UNIFEM and Women's Funding Network
- Australian Senate Committee on Community Affairs Inquiry into the cost of living pressures on older Australians, March 2008
- "Women face extreme risk of poverty in old age", by Mark Metherall, The Sydney Morning Herald, 21 March 2008
- The impact of housing on the lives of women and children – post domestic violence crisis accommodation, a study undertaken by the NSW Women Refuge Movement and the University of Western Sydney Urban Research Centre, February 2009 (pdf provided)
- Tax Reform, Targeting and the Tax Burden on Women, submission by the WomenSpeak Alliance and the National Foundation for Australian Women to the Review of Australia’s Tax System 2008
Disability and Mental Health
- "Women and Mental Health: the issues, the illnesses and what women want from services", prepared by the Women's Health Services Mental Health Community Outreach Program
Women's Safety and Alcohol Abuse
- Economic Costs of Alcohol to the Community – Fact Sheet for Health Professionals, Health Department of Western Australia, 1998
- Women, Gender Equality and Sport. December 2007.